Monday, March 11, 2013

Rava Laddu


When I was growing up, my favourite homemade sweets were rava laddu and boli. I still remember my grandma sitting in our living room in Chennai, and making these laddus. She would tell my mom, “Put more ghee… put more ghee”!! After her, my mom still makes them for me every time I visit Chennai. Hmmm… rava laddus always make me so nostalgic.
When my mom visited us last December she made these for us. They were so fragrant from the homemade ghee which she makes. She grinds the roasted rava before making the laddus, so they melt in your mouth! But there were so many laddus, we couldn’t possibly finish them all. So I stored a few fresh one in my refrigerator, and suprising they lasted two months.
Hope you try out this easy indian sweet during your next cooking session.

Rava Laddu
Makes 20 laddus
Ingredients:
Rava – 1.5 cups
Sugar – 3/4 cups
Ghee – 1/4 cup (or more, according to taste)
Note: The ratio of rava to sugar is 1:1/2

Directions:
  • Roast the rava until golden brown.
  • Let it cool, then grind to a fine powder in the mixer.
  • Grind the sugar to a fine powder in the mixer.
  • In a large bowl, mix the powdered rava and sugar.
  • Heat the ghee on the stove, until it smokes slightly. (To test if the ghee is hot enough, sprinkle a little bit of powdered rava in the ghee. If the ghee bubbles, then it is ready).
  • Now spoon the ghee little by little onto the rava mixture and make the laddus while it is hot.
  • Let the laddus cool for 3-4 hours. The laddus become firm after cooled.
  • Store in an airtight container. 

No comments:

Post a Comment