This was the cake I baked for my hubby's birthday last week. He is a huge chocolate fan. So a cake smeared with chocolate ganache sounded like a good idea!
I baked 3 plain vanilla cakes with a 6" pan. And layered it using chocolate ganache as filling and frosting. Making the chocolate ganache is as easy as eating it :) and it also holds well in the humidity.
Chocolate Ganache Recipe:
Thickened Cream - 1 Cup
Baking chocolate/semisweet chocolate chips - 2 Cups
Unsalted Butter - 1 Tablespoon(Optional)
Vanilla Extract - 1/2 Tablespoon
- Place the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl. If using chocolate bar, chop into small pieces.
- Heat the cream on stove until boiling.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and mix well.
- Make sure all the chocolate has melted without any lumps.
- Add the softened butter and vanilla to the chocolate and mix well. (If any lumps prevail, heat it for a few more seconds in the microwave, and mix well.)
- Cool the ganache in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- Whisk the thickened gaanche with a electric beater before use.
- The ratio of the cream can be increased to make a thinner ganache that can be poured over your cake to form a glossy finish.
- I used Wilton 2M icing nozzle for the rosettes on the top of the cake, and used the back of a palette knife to make the stripes along the sides of the cake.