Happy Deepavali dear foodies!
I pinned this recipe from Subbu’s Kitchen earlier this month. It was a quick and staright forward recipe. But unfortunately when I set of to try it, I got the wrong brand of rice flour. I was so confidant and double the recipe and started making these murukku. I couldn’t belive myself when the first batch of murukku frying in the hot hot oil went KABOOM. Oil splattered all over my kitchen, thankfully I was standing away from the stove. Otherwise I would have had severe burns. I realised my mistake only the next morning.
I got the correct rice flour the next day and tried it out. The murukkus turned out perfect. Nice and crispy and spicy. Try out this quick murukku recipe with a spicy twist for this deepavali.
Rice flour - 2 Cups
Besan flour (Kadalai maavu) - 3/4 Cup
Asafoetida - 1/4 Teaspoon
Salt to taste
Coarse pepper powder – 1 tablespoon
Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
Butter - 3 Tablespoon
Oil – For frying
- In a bowl. Add rice flour, besan flour, asafoetida, salt, freshly coarsely ground pepper powder, cumin seeds, butter and mix everything well
- Add water little by little and knead the flours to smooth and soft dough.
- Take star mould and press. Fill the press with the murukku dough press.
- Heat oil in pan. If you drop a pinch of dough in oil it should rise up immediately in the oil. Hold the press and mould on top of the oil and gently squeeze the dough. Deep fry the pepper murukku till they are crispy and golden brown color.
- Take out the crispy murukku in a paper towel to drain any excess oil. Pepper murkku is now ready to serve!
|Mix together - Rice flour,besan flour, pepper, asafotedia, salt and butter|
|Using star shape mould for the murukku press.|
|Crispy fried pepper murukku, Let it cool and break into small pieces.|