It's Christmas season, and I recently have been seeing cranberries all over the supermarkets here in Singapore. I have never tasted fresh cranberries before, so when I saw them in Mustafa (of all places)…I immediately grabbed a bag and headed home. I was expecting it to taste sweet. But they tasted so tart, and I couldn't really eat it on its own.
So the bag was lying in my fridge waiting to be baked into breakfast muffins. But I never got around to bake anything this week. And a can of jam sounded like the yummiest way to use up these fresh berries.
This ruby red spread is so refreshing and delicious...slathered on a piece of toast, it makes a perfect breakfast! Moreover, Cranberries are powerhouse of Vitamin C and antioxidants. Now you don’t need any more excuse to try out this super quick, sugar-free preserve this Christmas season!
Yields: About 1 ½ cups of jam
- 3 ½ cups – Cranberries
- ¾ cup – Honey
- 2 tablespoons – Raw Sugar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon – Vanilla essence
- Heat all the ingredients in a pan and keep stirring.
- Keep cooking for about 10 minutes until all the berries break down and the mixture thickens. Do not overcook.
- Transfer the contents to a glass jar, and store it in the refrigerator for up to a month.
- If you prefer a smooth texture for your jam, just blend the mixture in a blender, while the jam is still warm. And then store it in a glass jar.
- I skipped this step, because we like coarse texture for our spreads.