Monday, May 7, 2012

Almond Bars


Made some delicious almond bars this weekend. Hubby was playing a cricket match with his team. And it went on for the whole weekend! So I was home all weekend working on my overdue craft orders.



On Sunday hubby’s team won the match! He mentioned during their lunch break, that they were in the finals and were about to win. So I wanted to make something for him to celebrate when he came home.

Almonds are his favourites! I have some wonderful almonds that my aunt brought from Malaysia. I wanted to make something special with those almonds. And hence these almond bars. 

The recipe called for flaked almonds,but I wanted to use the whole almonds that I had. So I soaked the whole almonds for a 3 hours in warm water, and then peeled the skin off. I cut the peeled almonds into thin slices. This is a time consuming project, and not really necessary, unless you have almonds at hand. Otherwise it is better to just buy some flaked almonds.



The super easy recipe is from http://www.aspoonfulofsugardesigns.com/. I loved how simple the recipe was. The almond bars were heaven! They were chewy, soft and super moist! The brown sugar and the slivers of almond gave the bars a deeper level of richness to them. Hubby loved it!



Ingredients:
Makes 8 big bars

1/4 cup - butter
1 cup - brown sugar
1 - egg
3 tablespoons - honey
3/4 cup - plain flour
1 teaspoon - baking powder
1/2 teaspoon - vanilla extract
1/3 cup - flaked almonds

Directions:

  • Heat oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F).
  • Line a square pan with baking paper.
  • Melt butter in a heat proof bowl, in the microwave for 30 seconds.
  • Add brown sugar and honey, and stir until well combined.
  • Stir in egg. Mix well.
  • Combine flour and baking powder, then stir into the mixture.
  • Add vanilla and fold in almonds.
  • Pour batter into pan and bake for 23-28 minutes, or until golden.
  • Cool in pan and then cut into pieces. 
  • Dust with icing sugar before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment