Friday, April 13, 2012

Banana Crumb Muffins


Happy Tamil New Year to all of you. I dint do anything special for new year because I am not feeling very well. But I had a couple of ripe bananas sitting on my counter-top, and I wanted to bake something to use up these bananas. Also had some cut mangoes in the fridge.

As I was browsing my recipe collection, I came across these bananan crumb muffin recipe. I love crumb topppings on my muffins! But I have never tried it out. Last week, Hubby and I were having high tea at a bakery in Clementi and he asked me what a ‘crumb’ topping was. So I thought this recipe would be a good idea to use up the bananas and show hubby what crumb topping was. The recipe was straight forward, the technique for the crumb topping was also easy. So I got out my new muffin cases :) and made these delicious muffins. 


Warm out of the oven…. They were moist and so full of banana flavour. The crumb topping was sweet and crunchy! The recipe called for 3 ripe bananas, but I only had 2. So I added about half a medium mango, and mashed them together. When I tasted the muffins, the mangoes were not very prominent. And the 2 bananas were more than enough.  Recipe adapted from Annie’sEats.


Banana Crumb Muffins
Yields 14 muffins.

Ingredients:
For the muffins:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used Unbleached Plain Flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 bananas, mashed 
3/4 cup white sugar (I used unrefined raw sugar)
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ teaspoon Vanilla extract
1/3 cup butter, melted 

For the topping:
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (I used Unbleached Plain Flour)
1/8 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1 tablespoon butter   

Directions:
  •      Preheat oven to 375°.    
  •      In a large bowl, mix together 1 ½ cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
  •      In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg, vanilla extract and melted butter.
  •      Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened.
  •      Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.  
  •      In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and vanilla extract.
  •      Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
  •      Sprinkle topping over muffins.   
  •      Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment